History of the elm street center
Amidst the revitalization of downtown Greensboro, is the Elm Street Center – home of The Empire and Regency Ballrooms. The building is located in the heart of downtown at 203 S. Elm Street.
Elm Street Center was originally built in 1949 for Ellis Stone, a locally owned department store. Years later the building was sold to the Thalheimers Department stores who remained at the location until 1975. Afterwards it became an IRS office, and more recently was home to a downtown Antique Mall.
The location was then purchased by a small group of investors who named the building the Elm Street Center. They renovated the building to house The Empire Room & The Regency Room; elegant ballrooms that can be used for a wide variety of functions including weddings, large or small parties, Galas, Proms, Conventions, Tradeshows and other Corporate events. The rooms can accommodate up to 1,000 people per room and are extremely sophisticated and flexible in their uses.